Shigru is commonly known as Moringa or Drumstick. Moringa grows plentifully in India in home gardens or as natural fences. The fruit or seedpods, often referred to as drumsticks, are commonly used in the South Indian dish, sambar, as well as other dishes. Many people in India grow up not realizing the power of this seemingly ordinary plant. Importance of Moringa has been described in in Ayurveda since the era of Sushruta.
Moringa – Nutritional Content
- Widely used to Over come Malnutrition especially among infants and nursing mothers
- The leaves are an excellent source of vitamins (especially Vitamin A, B and C),
- Rich in minerals (calcium, iron, Potassium, zinc, magnesium) and protein (10 essential amino acids).
Practical Uses of Moringa
- Moringa is anti-oxidant herb. It protects our body from various infections and prevents our body from free radicals.
- Moringa leaf powder and root bark are good for cardiac and circulatory system and it is used to reduce high blood pressure level in body. It also reduces cholestrol level.
- Drumstick fruit is known to increase quality and quantity of sperms. It gives strength to male reproductive system.
- Moringa leaves, seeds and seeds pods are known for its anti-inflammatory nature. These are used to reduce inflammation. This herb is very beneficial in arthritis, rheumatism, cramps and gout.
- Moringa seeds protect body against harmful effects of arsenic toxicity.
- This herb is rich in calcium and magnesium and it is improves strength of teeth and bones. It is also used in osteoporosis and various bone disorders. Dried moringa leaves are used for healthy and glowing skin.
- Leaves are rubbed over forehead to relieve severe headache.
- It is applied over wounds and ulcers and due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects it helps in quick healing.
- Tea prepared from moringa leaves are used to treat gastric ulcers and diarrhoea.
- Seed powder of moringa is used in scurvy and various skin infections.
- It is also antibiotic in nature and prevents body from sexually transmitted diseases and boils.
- Leaves are also very effective in bronchitis, fever, inflammation of mucus membrane and in eye and ear infections.