Ayurvedic Treatment for Spondylosis
Spondylosis is one of the degenerative conditions affecting the cervical spine. It is usually caused by changes in your spine triggered by age, wear-and-tear, and osteoarthritis.
Spondylosis according to Ayurveda
Spondylosis is commonly identified in Ayurveda with Vataja Nanatmaja Vikaras like Manyastambha, Greevastambha etc.
According to Ayurveda, Grivastambha is one of the eighty types of vatavyadhi which is characterised by stambha (stiffness) in the neck region, and is commonly seen in cervical spondylosis.
Cervical spondylosis may also be considered as Grivagata (neck region) Sandhivata, especially in degenerative condition.
Pain during the flexion – extension of a joint along with swelling and coarse crepitation’s on joint movement is the typical clinical features of sandhivata.
Causes of Spondylosis
Acharya sushruta has described manyastambha which is caused by
- Diwaswapna – sleeping during daytime.
- Using pillows inappropriately during sleeping.
- Continue gazing in upward direction.
- Degenerative Changes with age.
- Deficiency of some Vitamins and other important Nutrients can be one of the reasons.
- Wrong sitting postures Vitiates vata and kapha dosha. Such condition may simulate with the condition of cervical spondylitis or acute stage of cervical spondylosis.
Symptoms of Spondylosis
- Sosha – Degeneration.
- Stambha – Stiffness.
- Shula – Pain.
- Tingling sensation.
Treatment in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment of Cervical spondylosis, comprises of herbal medicines and therapies that help to relax the muscles, relieve inflammation to the nerves and surrounding tissues, healing the damage to the nerves and in strengthening the nerves and muscles.
Cleansing by panchkarma
- Proper follow up with Doctor, few changes in lifestyle and diet with regular physical exercise can bring out fast recovery within few days and prevention for future relapse.