Osteoarthritis which resembles Sandhigatavata is a degenerative joint disorder characterized by degeneration of joint cartilage and adjacent bone that leads to joint pain and stiffness.
Sandhigata Vata (Osteoarthritis ) is the commonest form of articular disorder. which interferes with everyday activities such as walking, dressing, bathing etc. thus making patient disabled / handicapped/or cannot perform its work properly. As it is a Vatavyadhi, located in Marmasthisandhi and its occurrence in old age makes it Kashtasadhya. Vata Dosha plays important and main role in the disease. Shula Pradhana Vedana is the cardinal feature of the disease associated with Sandhishotha with Vata Purna Druti Sparsha, lack of movements of the joints or painful movement of the joints.
(1) Dhatukshaya Janya Sandhigatavata (Degenerative osteoarthritis)
(2) Marga Avaran Janya Sandhigatavata (Osteoarthritis due to obese).
- Intake of dry, cold or stale food.
- Irregular sleeping patterns..like day sleep.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Exposure to severe cold, and dry weather and
- Local factors- such as degeneration of the cartilages due to ageing.
- Excessive strain on the joint.
- Any kind of injury to the joint, are the frequent causes of arthritis.
- Moderate to severe pain at the affected joint,
- Joint stiffness observed especially after long spans of rest to the affected joint,
- Restricted and painful movements of the joint.
- Crunching or crackling noise when the joint moves (crepitation);
- Localized tenderness in severe cases,
- Increased local temperature at the affected site.
Treatment in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda the line of treatment of Osteoarthritis prevents further deterioration in the joints and rejuvenates damaged cartilages. Vata-alleviating treatments through specific herbs are suggested for lubrication and strengthening of joints.Treatment is done by assessing following-
- Prakruti of the patient.
- Dosha dominance in disease.
- Dosha vitiation.
- Obstruction in srotha.
- Manasika Prakriti.
- Ahara and Vihara.(Diet and Physical activities Alteration)
- Hereditary factors…so depending on all these factors.
Treatment can be done by two folds
- Cleansing by Panchkarma
The Ayurveda treatment regimen has often proved successful with a multi-modality approach.The Ayurvedic regimen presents a different treatment approach from the biomedical practice with an arrangement of ways. In addition to prescribing Ayurvedic drugs, Ayurveda also prefers changes in lifestyle accompanied with proper diet..which plays maximum role in reversing the disease. More importantly, it takes a holistic perspective by addressing the person as a whole, not just the disorder and all the associated complications as we know complication need to check of the disorder in the treatment plan. This is the distinctive feature of Ayurvedic therapy.