Psoriasis is mostly comparable with two varieties of kshudrakustha ie. Eka kustha and Kitibha kustha and also with a variety mahakustha i.e., Sidhma kustha.
Psoriasis is a common skin condition in which skin develops areas that become thick covered with silvery scales. and millions of people are suffering from Psoriasis.Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder of the skin results in hyper proliferation of the skin. and genetic and environmental factors have a significant role in this.Psoriasis is a non-contagious, dry, inflammatory and ugly skin disorder, which can involve entire system of person.
The most commonly affected sites are the scalp, tips of fingers and toes,palms, soles, umbilicus, gluteus, under the breasts and genitals, elbows, knees, shin etc. It is an Important disease in consideration to its treatment as mostly difficult in other pathies but can be easily treated and managed in Ayurveda .
TYPES OF Psoriasis
- (1)According to Dosha in this disease are
- a) Vātaja and
- (2)According to clinical features are
- a) Śyāvaṁ (Blackish brown discoloration of skin),
- b) Kiṇakharasparśa (affected skin will be rough to touch like the scar tissue), Paruṣa (hard to touch).
- Diet in Psoriasis– Plays an important role in this particular disease like
Intake of mutually contradictory food like fish and milk, intake of unctuous and heavy drinks, suppression of natural urges like vomiting, sleep, thirst.
- Environmental Factors – Plays an important role in psoriasis like
- Physical exercise in excess heat climate or after taking heavy meal, exposing to heat, cold, fasting and taking food.
- Intake of cold water immediately after exposing to sun.
- Intake of uncooked food and food before the previous meal is digested.
- Violation of laws of Panchakarma (5 purification procedures).
- More intake of foods like fresh grains, curd, fish, salt and sour substances;
- More intake of black gram, radish, pastry, sesame seeds, milk, jaggery etc..
- Sexual act in the state of indigestion; day sleep, performing sinful acts.etc
Symptoms can be seen in two conditions
1) Prodromal features of Psoriasis [Purvarupa of Eka kushtha] –
- Reduced perspiration (Aswedan)
- Increased perspiration (Atiswedan)
- Discolouration of the skin(Twak vaivarnya)
- Pricking sensation(Nistoda)
- Fatigue (Klama) etc.
2)Clinical features of Psoriasis [Rupa of Eka kushtha] –
- Reduced sweating (Asweda)
- Extended skin lesions(Mahavastu)
- Scaling of skin similar to the scalesof the fish(Matsya shakalopama)
- Pink discolouration(Aruna varna)
- Blackening of the part (Krishna varna)
Treatment in Ayurveda
- Prakruti of the patient
- Dosha dominance in disease
- Dosha vitiation
- Obstruction in srotha
- Manasika Prakriti
- Ahara and Vihara
- Hereditary factors…so depending on all these factors
Treatment can be done by two folds
- Cleansing by panchkarma
Line of Ayurvedic treatment for Psoriasis –
- Ghritapana(Oral administration of
- Shodhana – V amana(emesis), according to the need Virechana(Purgation) can also be carried out or else both are also recommended one after the other.
Shamana Aushadha (Medication) – Both external and internal medication can be done.