Psoriasis is a common skin condition in which skin develops areas that become thick covered with silvery scales. and millions of people are suffering from Psoriasis.Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder of the skin results in hyper proliferation of the skin. and genetic and environmental factors have a significant role in this.Psoriasis is a non-contagious, dry, inflammatory and ugly skin disorder, which can involve entire system of person.
Psoriasis is mostly comparable with two varieties of kshudra kustha ie. Eka kustha and Kitibha kustha and also with a variety maha kustha / Sidhma kustha.
The most commonly affected sites are the scalp, tips of fingers and toes,palms, soles, umbilicus, gluteus, under the breasts and genitals, elbows, knees, shin etc. It is an Important disease in consideration to its treatment as mostly difficult in other pathies but can be easily treated and managed in Ayurveda.
Types of Psoriasis
According to Dosha in this disease we can identify Psoriasis as
- Vātaja &
But according to clinical features there are two other classification
- Śyāvaṁ (Blackish brown discoloration of skin),
- Kiṇakharasparśa (affected skin will be rough to touch like the scar tissue), Paruṣa (hard to touch).
Causes of Psoriasis
Symptoms can be seen in two conditions
1) Prodromal features of Psoriasis [Purvarupa of Eka kushtha] –
- Reduced perspiration (Aswedan)
- Increased perspiration (Atiswedan)
- Discoloration of the skin(Twak vaivarnya)
- Pricking sensation(Nistoda)
- Fatigue (Klama) etc.
2) Clinical features of Psoriasis [Rupa of Eka kushtha] –
- Reduced sweating (Asweda)
- Extended skin lesions(Mahavastu)
- Scaling of skin similar to the scalesof the fish(Matsya shakalopama)
- Pink discolouration(Aruna varna)
- Blackening of the part (Krishna varna)
Treatment in Ayurveda
- Prakruti of the patient
- Dosha dominance in disease
- Dosha vitiation
- Obstruction in srotha
- Manasika Prakriti
- Ahara and Vihara
- Hereditary factors…so depending on all these factors
Treatment can be done by two folds
1) PREVENTION PART
2) MANAGEMENT THROUGH
- Cleansing by Panchkarma
Line of Ayurvedictreatment for Psoriasis –
- Ghritapana(Oral administration of medicated Ghee)
- Shodhana – Vamana(emesis), according to the need Virechana(Purgation) can also be carried out or else both are also recommended one after the other.
Shamana Aushadha (Medication) – Both external and internal medication can be done.