Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disorder characterized by degeneration of joint cartilage and adjacent bone that leads to joint pain and stiffness. It occurs when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones wears down over time. Although osteoarthritis can damage any joint, the disorder most commonly affects joints in your hands, knees, hips and spine
Osteoarthritis according to Ayurveda
Sandhigata Vata of Ayurvedic literature is compared and accepted with Osteoarthritis of Modern Medical diagnosis. It is the commonest form of articular disorder which interferes with everyday activities such as walking, dressing, bathing etc. thus making patient disabled / handicapped who cannot perform his/her work properly.
As it is a Vata-Vyadhi, located in Marmasthisandhi and its occurrence in old age makes it more miserable (Kashtasadhya). Vata Dosha plays important and main role in the disease. Shula Pradhana Vedana is the cardinal feature of the disease associated with Sandhishotha with Vata Purna Druti Sparsha, lack of movements of the joints or painful movement of the joints.
Types of Osteoarthritis
- Degenerative osteoarthritis – Dhatukshaya Janya Sandhigatavata.
- Osteoarthritis due to obese – Marga Avaran Janya Sandhigatavata.
Causes of Osteoarthritis
- Degeneration of the cartilages due to ageing.
- Any kind of injury to the joint, are the frequent causes of arthritis.
- Excessive strain on the joint.
- Exposure to severe cold, and dry weather
- Intake of dry, Cold or Stale food.
- Irregular sleeping patterns, Day sleep.
- Suppression of natural urges.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
- Moderate to severe pain at the affected Joint.
- Joint stiffness observed especially after long spans of rest to the affected joint.
- Restricted and painful movements of the joints.
- Crunching or crackling noise when the joint moves (crepitation).
- Localized tenderness in severe cases.
- Increased local temperature at the affected site.
Osteoarthritis Treatment in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda the line of treatment of Osteoarthritis prevents further deterioration in the joints and rejuvenates damaged cartilages. Vata-alleviating treatments through specific natural herbal medicine and Oils are suggested for lubrication and strengthening of joints.
Treatment can be done by two folds
- Cleansing by Panchakarma
The Ayurveda treatment regimen has often proved successful with a multi-modality approach. The Ayurvedic regimen presents a different treatment approach from the biomedical practice with an arrangement of ways. In addition to prescribing Ayurvedic drugs, Ayurveda also prefers changes in lifestyle accompanied with proper diet, which plays maximum role in reversing the disease. More importantly, it takes a holistic perspective by addressing the person as a whole, not just the disorder and all the associated complications as we know complication need to check of the disorder in the treatment plan. This is the distinctive feature of Ayurvedic therapy.