Spondylosis is one of the degenerative conditions affecting the cervical spine and is commonly identified in Ayurveda with Vataja Nanatmaja Vikaras like Manyastambha, Greevastambha etc.
According to Ayurveda, grivastambha is one of the eighty types of vatavyadhi which is characterised by stambha (stiffness) in the neck region, and is commonly seen in cervical spondylosis. Cervical spondylosis may also be considered as grivagata (neck region) sandhivata, especially in degenerative condition. Pain during the flexion – extension of a joint along with swelling and coarse crepitations on joint movement is the typical clinical features of sandhivata.
Acharya sushruta has described manyastambha which is caused by
- Diwaswapna (sleeping during daytime).
- Using pillows inappropriately during sleeping .
- Continue gazing in upward direction.
- Degenerative Changes.
- Deficiency of some Vitamins and other important Nutrients can be one of the reasons.
- Wrong sitting etc. Vitiates vata and kapha dosha. Such condition may simulate with the condition of cervical spondylitis or acute stage of cervical spondylosis.
- Stambha (stiffness)
- Shula (pain)
- Tingling sensation
Treatment in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment of Cervical spondylosis, comprises of herbal medicines and therapies that help to relax the muscles, relieve inflammation to the nerves and surrounding tissues, healing the damage to the nerves and in strengthening the nerves and muscles.
Here are the various factors that are considered in treating
- Prakruti of the patient
- Dosha dominance in disease
- Dosha vitiation
- Obstruction in srotha
- Manasika Prakriti
- Ahara and Vihara
- Hereditary factors…so depending on all these factors
- Treatment can be done by two folds
- Cleansing by panchkarma
The Ayurveda treatment regimen has often proved successful with a multi-modality approach.The Ayurvedic regimen presents a different treatment approach from the biomedical practice with an arrangement of ways. In addition to prescribing Ayurvedic drugs, Ayurveda also prefers changes in lifestyle accompanied with proper diet..which plays maximum role in reversing the disease. More importantly, it takes a holistic perspective by addressing the person as a whole, not just the disorder and all the associated complications as we know complication need to check.This is the distinctive feature of Ayurvedic therapy.Hence can be well managed and reversed .